Biomolecules MCQs with answers for IITJAM CHEMISTRY 2023.
Biomolecules and chemistry of natural products multiple choice questions:
1. Which of the following pairs give positive Tollen’s test?
(a) Glucose, sucrose
(b) Glucose, fructose
(c) Hexanal, Acetophenone
(d) Fructose, sucrose
2. Two forms of D-glucopyranose, are called.
3. Statement-1: Glucose gives a reddish brown precipitate with Fehling’s solution.
Statement-2: Reaction of glucose with Fehling’s solution gives CuO and gluconic acid.
(a) Statement-1 is True, Statement-2 is True; Statement-2 is a correct explanation for Statement-1.
(b) Statement-1 is True, Statement-2 is True; Statement-2 is NOT a correct explanation for Statement-1.
(c) Statement-1 is True, Statement-2 is False.
(d) Statement-1 is False, Statement-2 is True.
4. The term anomers of glucose refers to
(a) Isomers of glucose that differ in configurations at carbons one and four (C-1 and C-4)
(b) A mixture of (d)-glucose and (L)-glucose
(c) Enantiomers of glucose
(d) Isomers of glucose that differ in configuration at carbon one (C-1)
5. Which of the following is an example of aldopentose?
6. Which pair is different for reaction with Fehling solution:
(a) Glucose, Fructose
(b) HCHO, CH3CHO
(c) CH2COCH3, C6H5CHO
(d) Glucose, Sucrose
7. Glucose contains in addition to aldehyde group
(a) One secondary OH and four primary OH groups
(b) One primary OH and four secondary OH groups
(c) Two primary OH and three secondary OH groups
(d) Three primary OH and two secondary OH groups
8. Naturally occuring (+) – sucrose is :
9. When methyl D-glucopyranoside is treated with HIO4 how many moles of HIO4 are consumed with per mole of the sugar ?
10. The configuration of the C-2 epimer of D-glucose is-
(a) 2R, 3S, 4R, 5S
(b) 2S, 3S, 4R, 5R
(c) 2S, 3R, 4S, 5R
(a) 2R, 3S, 4R, SR
11. Same osazone derivative is obtained in case of D-glucose, D-Mannose and D-Fructose due to
(a) the same configuration at C-5
(b) the same constitution.
(c) the same constitution at C-1 and C-2
(d) The same constitution and same configuration at C-3, C-4, C-5 and C-6 but different constitution and configuration at C-1 and C-2 which becomes identical by osazone formation.
12. Amylose and cellulose both are linear polymers of glucose. The difference between them is:
(a) Amylose has β (1 → 4′) linkage and cellulose has α (1→ 4′) linkage
(b) Amylose has α (1→ 4′) linkage and cellulose has β (1→ 4′) linkage
(c) Amylose has α (1→ 4′) linkage and cellulose has α (1→ 6′) linkage
(d) Amylose has β (1→ 4′) linkage and cellulose has β (1→ 6′) linkage
13. The colour of the precipitate formed when a reducing sugar is heated with Fehling solution is:
14. Which substance is not present in nucleic acid?
15. To identify the N-terminal amino acid of peptide 1-fluoro-2, 4-dinitrobenzene (DNFB) is used. This is called
(a) van-Slyke reagent
(b) Sorenson reagent
(c) Sanger reagent
(d) None of these
16. Which reagent is used in the Edman degradation for N terminal group analysis.of peptides?
(a) Phenyl isothiocyanate
(b) Di-t-butyl dicarbonata
(c) Dicyclohexyl carbodiimide
(d) Benzyl chloroformate
17. A nucleoside on hydrolysis gives
(a) an aldopentose and orthophosphoric acid
(b) an aldopentose and a heterocyclic base
(c) an aldopentose, a heteroccyclic base and orthophosphoric acid
(d) a heterocyclic base and orthophosphoric acid
18. In DNA, the complementary bases are
(a) Uracil and adenine; cytosine and guanine
(b) Adenine and thymine; guanine and cytosine
(c) Adenine and thymine; guanine and uracil
(d) Adenine and guanine; thymine and cytosine
19. The process by which synthesis of protein takes place based on the genetic information present in m-RNA is called
(a) messenger hypothesis
20. Test used to identify peptide linkage in protein is:
(b) Ninhydrin test
(c) Molisch test
(d) 2,4-DNP test
Other multiple choice questions, you may like:
- Ionic Equilibrium of Analysis MCQ with Answers for IIT JAM 2023
- Coordination Complexes MCQ with Answers for IIT JAM 2023
- Economic Geology MCQ with answers 2023
- Qualitative Analysis MCQ with Answers for IIT JAM 2023
- Mineralogy MCQ with answers for IIT JAM 2022
- Electrostatics Questions and Answers
- Gaseous state mcq with answers 2023
- Periodic properties MCQs for IIT JAM 2023
- Reaction Intermediate of Analysis MCQ with Answers for IIT JAM 2023
- Bioinorganic chemistry mcq with answers 2023